Are you hoping to increase your charitable giving in 2013? Do you want to give but you aren’t sure if you even have enough money to pay your rent this month? I have good news for you: you can give. Giving can be challenging, it takes some risk for us to give of our time and our money, particularly when those are scarce resources. However, the reward of helping our neighbors, whether near or far, far outweighs the risk. Whether you are giving for the first time or just challenging yourself to do a little bit more, here are some great reasons why you should increase your charitable giving this year:
- Purpose: Giving, whether of time or money, reminds us that we have a greater purpose than just satisfying our own needs. Giving brings us outside of ourselves and teaches us that we each have the capacity to help our neighbor and to be helped by them.
- Community: Giving connects us with the greater community, both local and global. Giving keeps us attuned to the world outside of ourselves and provides us with the opportunity to form new relationships.
- Multiplication: When we give, what we have is multiplied to meet the needs of others. One of my favorite organizations, Feed My Starving Children, which feeds starving children around the world, can provide someone with a meal for 22 cents. I can’t even think of something that I can buy for 22 cents! Even a small donation can meet a lot of needs. A gift of $10 can provide 45 meals to starving children. For help, choosing a charity that will be able to multiply your gift check out this article.
- Habit: Even if you can only give a small amount of time or money, this small step will help you begin a habit that will last a life time. Start by giving $10 and 1 hour/month to an organization of your choice and challenge yourself by doubling the amount next year.
- Creativity: There are some many Creative Ways to Give Back through social media, click giving, recycling and much more, so even if you can’t give money you can still give. There are also many creative ways to volunteer that are both fun and helpful!
- Two for One: In addition, you can give by giving gifts that give back. These are not only great gifts to give to a friend or relative, but they are also a way to give back to neighbors in your community or across the world. Great examples of this would be TOMs Shoes, The Giving Keys, and Oxfam America.
For more good reasons to give to charity check out this article. Still wondering where you are going to find an extra $10 to give? Start tracking your spending, especially the money you spend on food and drinks, more than likely you will find a few expenses that you could forgo each month in order to give like 2 lattes or one dinner out per month.
Join the Conversation: How are you increasing your charitable giving this year?