What comes to mind when you hear the word “volunteer”? Picking up trash on the side of the road? Building homes? Serving on another committee? A lot of work with no pay? As students, we tend to be a bit starved for time. Why would we want to add another thing to our to-do list?
Yet, volunteering can be so much more than an addition to your to-do list. It can be a way to use your time that is life giving for both you and the person that you are serving. Volunteering can also be a great way to learn new skills, meet new people, and have fun. Below are some extraordinary volunteer opportunities that really expand the meaning of the word “volunteer”. So why not end your summer with a bang by grabbing a few friends and volunteering in a whole new way.
- Image Coaching: Do you love fashion? Dress for Success is looking for Image Coaches to work with economically disadvantaged women by helping them to dress for interviews and build a working wardrobe with pieces that can easily be mixed and matched.
- Organic Farming: At Open Arms of Minnesota you can volunteer by farming their organic gardens. No previous farming or gardening experience required. All of the food goes to making meals for people with life-threatening illnesses who are unable to shop or cook for themselves.
- Packing Food: You can volunteer packing food for Feed My Starving Children which sends food to hungry kids all over the world. You get to assemble, weigh, seal, and pack the food bags. This is a really fun opportunity for a group.
- Granting Wishes: Through the Make-A-Wish Foundation you can grant wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses. You and another person meet with the family, dream together, and make the child’s wish a reality.
- Teaching Art: Work with a small group of children leading art projects from visual art to dance to drama through Free Arts Minnesota.
- Fostering Dogs: You can foster homeless dogs through All Dog Rescue. All Dog Rescue will provide the food and the crate as well as pay the Vet bills while you provide the dog with a loving home until the dog is adopted.
- Grape Harvesting: Join the harvest crew and spend a day picking grapes at Cannon River Winery. In exchange, you will get a dinner al fresco and a free wine tasting.
- Vacationing Abroad: Believe it or not you can actually volunteer while you travel. Most of these trips include food and accommodations, you only pay for your travel expenses to get to the destination.
- Virtual Volunteering: There are many volunteer opportunities that you can do from the comfort of your home. Many organizations count on volunteers to administer and write content for their social media pages. This is a great, easy way to support an organization that you care about.
Looking for a different kind of volunteer opportunity? Try VolunteerMatch a website that matches volunteers with organizations.
Volunteering is a great way to share your time. Grab some friends and support your favorite cause!
Join the Conversation: What are your favorite organizations to volunteer for?