Have you just moved into a new place that you would love to decorate?Have you been dreaming about redecorating your apartment but you aren’t sure if you really have the time or the money to do it? Does your apartment still feel reminiscent of your college dorm room? Never fear! You can decorate or redecorate your apartment on a small budget, check out these tips to help you get started:
- Get Inspired: Start out by finding some photos of rooms, apartments or items that you like. Check out Pinterest or Apartment Therapy for ideas. Apartment Therapy has a great section on Decor Styles that offers examples of different styles so you can hone in on yours. You might also want to go out to some furniture stores, like Ikea, if you live close by so you can get a feel for different spaces that you like.
- Start Small: If you are on a tight budget it may be best to start small. Pick out one room that you want to (re)decorate and imagine what items you would like to add to it. You don’t have to completely overhaul the space. Shifting the furniture and adding a touch of color with paint, new lamps or window treatments may be all that you need. Pick the space, and figure out the things that you would like to change.
- Set a Budget: Next, set a budget and be stick to it. You would be surprised how much you can do with a small amount of money if you are careful about. Get some ideas for inexpensive DIY projects that you can take on. Check out Better Homes and Garden’s Ideas to steal for your apartment, HGTV’s 15 budget decorating tips, apartment therapy’s 25 DIY project that cost less than $50 and Budget DIY tips for stretching your project dollars.
- Get Shopping: Now is the perfect time to hit garage and estate sales while the weather is still warm. Check out Goodwill, Freecycle, Craigslist and other thrift stores in your area. You will be surprised what treasures you can find.
- Need a Little More Help? That’s ok! Apartment Therapy has the Style Cure to help you redecorate a room over a month. They will send you an email each day with a specific assignment to help you keep on task. Best of all, it’s free!
You can (re)decorate your apartment on a budget! So stop pinning photos on Pinterest and get moving! 🙂
Join the Conversation: What apartment DIY projects have you tackled?