I absolutely love to cook, but it can be hard to find delicious recipes that are not only healthy but frugal. We’ve all tried those “frugal” recipes that taste cheap or flavorless. What a waste of money! The good news is that there are some recipes that meet the trifecta: healthy, delicious, and frugal! Below you will find 5 recipes that I have sampled myself. Try them out and let me know what you think!
- California Grilled Veggie Sandwiches: This is my boyfriend and I’s favorite go-to recipe! It is quick, healthy and cheap. While you can make it any time of the year, it is especially good in the summer and fall when all of these veggies are in season! The sauce is so tasty it can make any carnivore forget they are eating a veggie sandwich. 🙂
- Beef and Bean Chili Verde: I absolutely love crock pot recipes, but sometimes I don’t have enough time for them. This chili recipe is quick and tasty. It is perfect for those days when you are low on time. I especially love the addition of the salsa, it makes this recipe so much more flavorful!
- Chicken, Snow Pea, and Cashew Fried Rice: Stir-frys are the ultimate frugal recipe. They are quick, tasty, and incredibly versatile. This is one of my favorite stir-fry recipes because it is chock-full of veggies and protein. If you want an even more frugal recipe you can remove the cashews and substitute more veggies!
- Nachos: Ok, so this is probably the least healthy of the bunch, but it is possible to make “healthier” nachos. Make your own tortilla chips or grab some whole-grain ones. Go lighter on the meat and cheese, add some black beans and pile it high with veggies like peppers, onions, tomatoes and lettuce. I also like to compliment it with a little sour cream (or greek yogurt) and some salsa. I have never used the linked recipe, because I usually just wing it, but if you need a guide this looked like a good one.
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips: I am a bit of a dessert fanatic. I love chocolate, dairy and pretty much everything on a restaurant dessert menu. I am convinced that being frugal and healthy doesn’t mean that you have to give up dessert, but it may mean that your dessert will look different. This tasty treat is quick and cheap, it is also a great dish that can help you use up some of those extra tortillas in your fridge.
Looking for some more healthy, frugal, and delicious recipes? Check out my new frugal recipe pinterest board! Every week, I will be adding new recipes. Also, check out the 4 healthy and frugal recipes that I featured in another post. These websites feature some great healthy, frugal recipes: Healthy Budget-Friendly Recipes, CheapHealthyGood Blog’s Recipe Index, Frugal Foodie Family, The Frugal Chef, or Ten Dollar Dinners. Bon Appetit!
Join the Conversation: What are some of your favorite healthy and delicious frugal recipes?