According to the National Retail Federation, over 170 million Americans will celebrate Halloween, spending over 8 million dollars. The average spending per person is predicted to be almost $80 on decorations, costumes, and candy! For those of us who are trying to live frugally, holidays can be a challenge. Here are a few frugal, DIY Halloween costumes for those who are still looking for ideas for this year or beginning to think about next year:
- Classic Toga Costume: Wrap yourself in a sheet + sandals + put leaves in your hair
- Jay Crew: Polo Shirt + Khakis + a name tag that says “Jay”
- Jellyfish: Clear umbrella + party streamers or metallic ribbons hanging from it
- Sick and Tired: Pajamas + thermometer + ice pack + pillow
- Olympian: Track suit + medal + Olympics logo
- Hippy: Tye-Dye apparel + bell bottoms + sunglasses + beads
- Prom Queen: Formal dress (old bridesmaid dress, prom dress, etc.) + Tiara + Sash
- Facebook: Write “book” across your face
- Mixed Greens: Wear a variety of different green clothing
- Beer Bottle: T-shirt of favorite beer brand + Get a foil pie plate, punch two holes in it at either end, and run string through it. Put it on your head like a hat and tie it.
- Identity Crisis: Plaster yourself with nametags, each with a different name.
- Survivor Loser: Raggedy clothes + Messy Hair + Tiki Torch (from a garden supply store)
- Freudian Slip Costume: Write Freudian words (regression, Oedipal complex, etc.) on a slip
- Highway: Black clothes + Yellow dotted line with duck tape down the middle + toy cars and paper signs glued on your body.
Join the Conversation: What is your favorite frugal Halloween costume?